[Israel.pm] OSDC Israel 2009 - Call for organizers

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jul 7 00:35:42 PDT 2008

Hi.

On Friday 04 July 2008, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> As you might have noticed after the successful OSDC in 2006
> I got so busy with work that in 2007 I could only organize a one day
> Perl Workshop right in the last minute. This year seem to pass without a
> conference but in the beginning of 2009 I'd like to have another
> OSDC in Israel.
>
> If you happened to forget or never heard about it then OSDC stands for
> Open Source Developers' Conference. It originates from Australia just as
> the kangaroo and the koala bear.
>
> In Israel it was the natural enlargement of the YAPCs
> (Yet Another Perl Conferences) that were held since 2003.
>
> In the previous OSDC in 2006 there were about 200 visitors
> including Larry Wall, developer of Perl and Audrey Tang,
> developer of Pugs.
> They could select from about
> 47.3% of Perl talks as the Perl community had been quite
>           organized in the previous years already
> 33.1% of Python talks as they just started to meet before the
>           conference
> 2 Ruby and
> 0 PHP presentations.
>
> Since then the Perl community got more silent.
> The Python mailing list and meetings have faded away.

Actually there was some activity on the Python-IL mailing list.

In any case, I am willing to help with the organisation of the conference.

It's just that I still think having a separate track for each of Perl, Python,
Ruby, and PHP as you proposed in the previous attempt is:

1. Divide and Conquer.

2. Does not give enough room for C/C++, Java/.NET, JavaScript, Lua/Io/etc.,
Haskell/O'Caml, Scala/Clojure/Bo/other-JVM-or-CLR-langs, etc.

I suggest selecting topics like "QA and test automation" or "GUI programming"
and then allocating presentations in each of them.

Anyway, I'm willing to help. I can help in publicity, logistics, etc.

The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not
work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.