[Israel.pm] Language evolution

Erez Schatz moonbuzz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 01:51:51 PST 2008

Yossi Itzkovich wrote:

> IMHO, in Perl (as older language) the problem is much bigger.  What do
> you think ?

Perl is only about 6-8 years older than Java, but that's besides the point.

Unlike Java, and similar languages of its ilk, Perl was designed to
evolve and therefore changes, ideas, methods and pragmas are easier to
implement. Java, however wasn't designed to evolve and new ideas have to
be hacked into it, usually by force. To add another layer of complexity,
new features are, by definition, designed by a committee, and needed to
maintain backwards compatibility, making the implementation usually ugly
and unwieldy.

It's also amazing how the "minimal" idea of the C languages (in terms of
reserved words and features built in the language) is anything but, when
it comes to extending the language, while a robust syntax such as Perl's
allows for virtually anything to be added and fit.

--
Erez

Software speaks in tongues of man; I debug, therefore I code.