[Israel.pm] The qr// operator

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Tue Dec 30 14:17:29 PST 2008

The open question here is about performance. As for readability, the
example shows pretty clearly that a complex regular expression can be
made accessible to mortals.

And yes, I suppose that gradually creating a complex regular expression
as a string, with parentheses carefully put in place, would do the job.
Have you ever seen someone doing that?

The point is, that for some reason, setting up a regular expression in
stages is pretty rare (read: never seen it until now). What is much more
commonplace is a bombardment of cryptic characters. And I sincerely
wonder if there is any reason in the world why regular expressions
should look that way.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il