[Israel.pm] OT: Hebrew Enabled or plain English Windows - Padre 0.22 released

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Wed Dec 24 05:51:03 PST 2008

Windows has Unicode support, but the default encoding is generally
UTF-16. On modern Unix systems, UTF-8 is more common. I'm guessing
somebody is assuming UTF-8 somewhere where they should be, and the fix
is to add C<binmode $some_fh, ":utf16"> after some open statement(s).
The trick is finding the offending filehandle(s). I'd suggest
replacing the die call in Encode.pm with Carp::confess, and tracing
back from there.

Wilder speculation, but the Hebrew Enabled status *might* mean that
Windows is assuming some file that lacks a BOM is CP-1255. If your
tests carry a data file encoded in UTF-8, that might be where it's
happening.

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/