[Israel.pm] Unicode un-handling

Shmuel Fomberg semuelf at 012.net.il
Wed Apr 9 13:18:59 PDT 2008

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>> suddenly, all the hebrew turned to something that look like:
>> ×?×?×¥ ×?×?×? ×?×?×^(a)× ×^(a)ק×?×^(a)
>> should be "press here to disconnect", in hebrew.
>>
>> My guess is that when adding a utf8-marked data, Perl tried to convert
>> the old data from (latin-1?) to utf8.
>> Is that correct?
>>
>> I think that I should mark everything as utf8. I use:
>> CGI::Application
>> CGI::Application::Plugin::AnyTemplate - Tamplate Toolkit
>> Class::DBI
>>
>> Can anyone help convincing these modules to grok utf8?
>
> You may Google for "perl utf8" to find many explanations of the problem.
>
>   http://ahinea.com/en/tech/perl-unicode-struggle.html

Thanks for the info.
I think that I'll backup my code, and go utf-8 bonnoza.
That means:
1. Clone custom Template Toolkit driver for
CGI::Application::Plugin::AnyTemplate that handle utf8 templates
2. work on the DB layer - and decode all the data that I get from it
3. all the files that I need - will open with :utf8
4. and on the output put an encode command

The last one is not recommanded, but I think that probably the site will
be hosted on shared hosting server. opening stdout as utf8 will globally
affect all the mod_perl handlers, and that is not good idea to do.
(am I right?)

Well, tomorrow.

Shmuel.