[Israel.pm] Development Environment Setting Up

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Sun Sep 16 07:27:14 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 16:26 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Omer Zak wrote:
> > In the following excerpt, Amir E. Aharoni pointed out a problem several
> > people have in joining some of the more successful big Free Software
> > projects (OpenOffice is especially guilty in this respect).
> >
> > The problem of setting up is not only due to the need to download and
> > install extra packages, but also due to conflicting tools and versions
> > of tools needed by different projects and the developer's own work.
> >
> Under Debian, the following three commands rebuild the package, exactly
> as originally built, for any package in the Debian main archive:
> # apt-get build-dep package
> $ apt-get source package
> $ cd package-version ; dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> So, in a way, yes, Debian did in fact solve this problem.

Thanks for the tip.
So, the problem is solved in the special use case of rebuilding the
version which is in Debian main archive, for the purpose of making a
small change in it (such as fixing a security bug).

How are the following use cases handled?

1. Several Perl modules are in CPAN but not packaged in .deb files.
They are installed using cpan rather than apt-get.
I suppose that a similar situation exists also for Python, PHP and other
scripting languages.
When such a module needs to be re-built (say, it relies not only upon
Perl scripts but also upon a DLL), how is this dealt with?

2. Building a bleeding-edge version, for which you want to get the
source code from SVN HEAD (or CVS HEAD).  Such a version is not in
Debian main, and probably did not make it even to Debian Sid.
In the general case, to execute the new version, you also need also more
recent versions of the system libraries - yet you do not want to screw
up your development environment for other projects, which rely upon
stable versions of those system libraries.

                                      --- Omer

--
One does not make peace with enemies.  One makes peace with former
enemies.

I may be affiliated in any way.