[Israel.pm] Perl and Hebrew

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Sep 5 02:18:56 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Yossi Itzkovich wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> I have a big program to write that parses Hebrew.
> 1. Where can I find resources about Perl and Hebrew ?

What sort of resources?
What are the tasks that you are going to do with this Hebrew
text?

> 2. What free Perl code editor can I use (on Windows) that supports
> Hebrew ?

>From my experience, writing text that requires special
character encoding handling within your code is a good way
to get into trouble when you review-update your code
anywhere else the exact environment that you started writing
it in.

My advise: build a resource file that contains your text
strings and access that file in any way you want.
This will also prove useful when you want to translate your
program text to some other language.
Editing text files in various encodings is easy if you're
using vim/emacs or other text editors that are unicode and
encoding aware such as yudit (there are plenty others, I'm
sure).

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il