[Israel.pm] Perl and Hebrew

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:51:12 PDT 2007

> 1. Where can I find resources about Perl and Hebrew ?

First of all, try searching CPAN for "Hebrew".

Also, make sure you read the manpage of the 'Encode' module, the
'open' pragma and perlunicode.

If you have any more specific questions, go on and ask ...

> 2. What free Perl code editor can I use (on Windows) that supports
> Hebrew ?

Try Notepad++:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

It doesn't have a debugger, but it does have syntax coloring and a lot
of nice quick editing tools.

Its Unicode support is good; Its right-to-left support isn't perfect,
but usable enough.

Perl itself supports Unicode pretty well and you can write your Perl
source files in Unicode, but there are some surprises. From my
experience, the best practice for serious production code is to keep
non-ASCII strings in a separate file and read them somewhere in the
beginning of your program. (Keeping ASCII strings in a separate file
is not a bad idea either - it may make later internalization easier,
if you plan to do it.)