[Israel.pm] Perl and Hebrew

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sun Sep 2 12:50:13 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 22:38:15 +0300, Yossi Itzkovich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a big program to write that parses Hebrew.
> 1. Where can I find resources about Perl and Hebrew ?

http://search.cpan.org/~rgarcia/perl-5.9.5/pod/perlunitut.pod (not
in perl 5.8 yet)

perluniintro

perlunicode

Juerd's unicode resources (http://juerd.nl/site.plp/perluniadvice)

Encode.pm

> 2. What free Perl code editor can I use (on Windows) that supports
> Hebrew ?

Not my field of expertise, unfortunately.

Look for encoding support, that should be enough.

However, I don't reccomend putting hebrew inline in perl files - if
you are looking to localize Locale::Maketext provides a better
framework, and .po files with the utf8 header will be easily loaded
using Locale::Maketext::Simple or Locale::Maketext::Lexicon.

If you are looking to process hebrew data, then perlunicode should
be enough, without needing to put hebrew in the files themselves
normally.

If you still need hebrew in the source, save the file as utf8, and
then mark it at the top with:

	use utf8;

and things like hebrew inside regexes will work as long as the
strings they are applied against are unicode (read the docs I
mentioned).

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418