[Israel.pm] Hebrew to english trans.

Uri Bruck bruck at actcom.net.il
Wed Oct 17 07:57:08 PDT 2007

Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Offer Kaye wrote:
>
>> On 10/17/07, Ernst, Yehuda wrote:
>>

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> does some one know if there is a module in perl that can translate
>>>

>>> English to Hebrew letters.
>>>
>>> like
>>>
>>> hello    הלו
>>> good    גוד
>>>

>> 1. Those aren't letters, they are words.
>> 2. There is no such module that I know of. Or even any software...
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> There is definitely software.  Eli Marmor's Netmask.it! software does it
> from english to hebrew (among the infinite other things that it does),
> so it is possible...

I don't see any such claim on the Netmask.it site.
Anyway, it seems to me that the original question may have been mis-phrased.
If the question was about a program that substitutes words from a
glossary, then you just need a big enough glossary. If the question was
about transcribing English words in Hebrew letters, which is what the
provided examples look like, then it's about transcription, not
translation, and seeing that English spelling is inconsistent, it
wouldn't be trivial.