[Israel.pm] Perl Workshop in Israel, 2007

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:23:43 PDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Jason Elbaum <jason.elbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gabor,
>
> How do you see this workshop as different from a YAPC? In its intended
> audience? Its contents? Its format? All three?

Mostly in its name.

I also intend(ed) it to be smaller in terms of work to organize it.

YAPC::EU and YAPC::NA are 3 days 3-5 tracks
YAPC::Israel was 1 day 3 tracks
OSDC::Israel was3 days 3 tracks
The workshop is planned to be 1 day 1 track (or two the most) and even
that day is shorter than YAPC/OSDC days.
So that probably means its format.

I won't deal with the proceedings, you might not get a bag, I don't
think we'll have the auction.

On the other hand I secretly hope - if this indeed will be relatively
easy to organize - to hold 2-4 of them a year. Unless people tell me
it is a stupid idea.

I though it to be something between a monthly Perl meeting and a YAPC/OSDC.
One of the reasons I thought to organize this is that on the monthly
meeting most of the people are either local (F5 employees) or from the
core of the Mongers (or both). It rarely attracts others - regular
people working in the industry - as it is in the evening hours.

I belive it is ok to give a talk that you already gave on a previous
YAPC/OSDC/Mongers meeting.
On YAPC::EU I see people giving a talk several times. Actually what
they do is make progress in their work and give show that progress in
their talks as well.

e.g. I already decided that I'll submit my "Testing Open Source
Software" again next year on YAPC::EU and give an improved version of
it.
If I am brave enough I might give it on our workshop as well though in a much
shorter version.