[Israel.pm] catching segmentation faults and other crashes

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Mon Nov 12 03:27:05 PST 2007

On 12 Nov 2007 13:15:11 +0200, Yona Shlomo wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > Accouding to "perldoc -f system", positive $? after system() or qx()
> > includes the system signal which the invoked command died with (something
> > you probably are not interested in) plus 128 on segmentation fault
> > (something you are interested in).
>
> $? didn't do the trick for me for some reason.
> I'll probe further and try to figure out why.

Are you sure the program actually dumps core? With "limit coredumpsize 0"
in a shell (versus "limit coredumpsize unlimited"), there is no core dump
and the 7-th bit of $? is always zero (the "&& 128" check), as expected.
But even then, $? is not 0, also as expected. On all unix systems I have.

Regards,
Mikhael.