[Israel.pm] XML processors used in web applications and web servers

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Nov 2 06:18:43 PDT 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Yona Shlomo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested to learn what XML processors are widely used
> for web applications.
>
> For example, I understand that Xerces is used by Apache but
> I cannot say which version of Xerces (the C++ one? the Java
> one? the Java2 one?) is the one widely used -- or that is
> deployed as default.
>
> What is the default XML processor for
> PHP/Python/Perl/Rubi/Java....?

Here's an excerpt from a conversation on Freenode's #python channel. I
am "rindolf":

{{{{{{{{{{{{{
 <rindolf>  Hi all! I'm doing a survey for
            http://perl.org.il/pipermail/perl/2007-November/009209.html
            - what is the default XML processor for Python and where?
 <rindolf>  So can anyone tell me what XML parsers people use with
            Python?
 <rindolf>  And what is the default one?
   <Yhg1s>  rindolf: there isn't a 'default' one, really. There are lots
            of parsers, people tend to use the one they come across
            first.
 <rindolf>  Yhg1s: I see.
  <Peaker>  Yhg1s: they should hope they don't come across sax first
   <Yhg1s>  they should just use ElementTree or xmltramp, of course :)
 <rindolf>  Yhg1s: thanks.
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

And here's one from #ruby-lang:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
 <rindolf>  Hi all.
 <rindolf>  Can anyone answer this question -
            http://perl.org.il/pipermail/perl/2007-November/009209.html
            - "What is the default XML processor for Ruby?"
   <don-o>  rindolf: i believe rexml is the answer
 <rindolf>  don-o: ok.
 <rindolf>  don-o: is it based on libxml?
  <iSteve>  no, it's pure ruby
   <don-o>  rindolf: im not sure. i think not.
 <rindolf>  iSteve: ah.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il