[Israel.pm] Test Anything Protocol

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:45:06 PDT 2007

On the QA day Ran and I gave in December among other things we introduced
TAP, the Test Anything Protocol that helped Perl to have a unparalleled set of
unit and integration tests both on the compiler/interpreter level and on the
extension level (aka. CPAN).

In short, TAP allows the easy separation of the test execution from
the reporting.

that is, one could write tests in any language, s/he could even embed it in a
device or send through the network while there can be a central tool
(a harness or parser) for collecting the results and presenting in an easily
readable way.

In the last year the QA team of Perl started to work on exporting this
simple but
wonderful idea to other programming languages and to other aspects of the
testing world. Implementations are currently available in
Perl, Python, PHP, C/C++.

Anyone interested in the development of TAP should look at its dedicated
web site http://testanything.org/ . for a short introduction look at
the Wikipedia
article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Anything_Protocol
designated for the development of the protocol itself and
one http://www.hexten.net/mailman/listinfo/tapx-dev for the development of the
TAP::Parser in Perl.

--
Gabor Szabo