[Israel.pm] Is University Really Necessary?

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Sat Mar 24 10:03:50 PDT 2007

Ido - why are you attacking me, as if i said anything about your
abilities? what i said was a generalization based on my experience. i
was not talking about any specific person. and i said there are
exceptions. consider yourself an exception then, and don't act as if i
was addressing you personally. i don't know you, and thus i cannot comment.

and then you wrote:

 > Why do you so afraid to find an answer for problems on your
 > own ? what are so bad in understanding things after spending time to
 > understand them rather then just to accept the answer ?
 > Are you making science as a new religion or something ? or you
 > actually wish to find more answers and to understand how things works
 > ?

which is quite funny. you're mis-understanding what the university has
done to me - it made me question everything, not accept what i'm told.
that's what a scientific degree is trying to teach people.

and you are assuming that we have time to learn everything on our own.
it could have been true several hundread years ago. if i would have only
done this now - i'd have a good chance of staying behind current
knowledge and technologies, and as smart as i might be - i'll do things
in a less efficient way then people who also listened to what others
have to say, read what others had to write, and thought about _that new
knowledge_.

i also find it hard to believe that you found everything by thinking
about it yourself. you never read books? you never listen to anyone? you
live in a bubble?

now, stop being so self-centered, and stop taking this entire argument
so personally. you are only proving my point - that by not getting an
academic degree, you have made your life harder. i think this issue
should be enough to make people want to get an academic degree - for
this single practical reason in today's workplace.

--guy