[Israel.pm] Perl versus PHP for a Scalable Web Project

Pinkhas Nisanov pinkhas at nisanov.com
Sun Mar 18 12:13:47 PDT 2007

On 3/18/07, Elizabeth Sterling <elizabeth at sparkthing.com> wrote:
> There is a question, however
> regarding the language in between. PHP? Or Perl?

Hi,

Some years ago my company "Shopping.com" merged with another
internet company "Epinions". Our front end was based on
"mod_perl/mason" framework and epinons's FE based on PHP.
When I asked one of their senior programmers how they solved some specific
problem with php, he told me they did not find solution for it
in php and he write apache module in "C".
php is more simple until you need to solve more complicated problems.
mod_perl is much more flexible because it's direct access to apache
internals and additional flexibility in apache configuration ( about half
of our "httpd.conf" file was in <Perl> blocks ).
The problem is that using mod_perl requires good understanding
of apache architecture and internals. If you can get programmer
with such experience ( or you have enough time to learn it ) mod_perl
is much better because you can solve very complicated problems
very fast.

e.g.: our mod_perl system processed about 20 millions
unique users a month

thanks
Pinkhas Nisanov