[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

yaron at kahanovitch.com yaron at kahanovitch.com
Mon Mar 12 00:12:47 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I think that you are not getting me, and miss the point.
The Title of this conversation is "Is there a lack of (good) experienced Programmers".
I did not try to Compare perl to other languages, but to give an example how Perl is being perceived in large projects.
In my opinion, the reason is that there are few "Perl oriented" projects.

In fact Perl is a powerful and rich language. In perl one can solve a problem in many ways. This freedom speed up development
As such, in many cases Perl is my first choice and I really enjoy to develop in perl.
However, perl approach implies some risks. Many things happens behind the scenes and so, a programmer must have a deep understanding    when he chooses an solution for a problem.
On the other hand, C++,c and Java does not give you the freedom that Perl gives.
If in perl you can solve a problem in many ways, than in C++ you have few ways to do it, and thus, in C++ it is much easier to implement code standards, and the performance of a solution written in C++ is much more predictable than Perl.
So, the perception of languages like C++ is that performance is much more predictable than perl and Projects are easier to maintain       .
This of course, does not means that large scale projects cannot be developed (at least partially) in perl. It does means that we need an understanding where to use Perl.

Best regards,

Yaron Kahanovitch