[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Jason Elbaum jason.elbaum at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 04:28:48 PST 2007

On 3/9/07, Yona Shlomo <yona at cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> I understand people that say that C is a simple language.
> Yes. I agree, small and simple.

This is, of course, open to debate. The latest revision of the ISO C
standard is over 500 pages long, including the libraries and
appendices. On the other hand, the core language description is only
160 pages of that. Add to that compiler- and system-dependent
variations, etc. (C standard:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf )

The Perl standard, on the other hand, is whatever your latest release
of Perl happens to implement.

Which is simpler? I don't know. Try implementing Unix's find or grep
in C versus Perl. It's much simpler to implement most common
programming tasks in Perl than in C. I think the simplicity of the
application code is far more important than the simplicity of the
language.

Shabbat shalom,

Jason