[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Fri Mar 9 01:15:46 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, yaron at kahanovitch.com wrote:

> First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Yaron and I work as an algorithm developer for medium size Israeli company, Orbotech.

Hello, Nice meeting you.

What types of algorithms are you developing using Perl?

> 4.  The simplicity of C, C++ (and java) makes unexpirienced developer to an experienced developer with a minimum risk.

I understand people that say that C is a simple language.
Yes. I agree, small and simple.

I don't understand why people decribe C++ as a simple
language. Simple compared to what?

I don't see how C++ protects the developer in run-time as a
plus compared to even tcl. Java on the other hand does a
better job at it, because it was design with this property
in mind.

By the way, have you considered using the D programming
language?

> So we decided to limit the use of perl to specific

What are the specific cases where you are using Perl?

> 1. almost all of the developers choose c, C++ or java as
> their first programing language.

This is not a bad thing.

> 2. Almost all of the projects involves non experienced developers and therefor almost all of the projects are developed in those languages.

Is it a fact that a company needs almost all of its projects
to be developed using inexperienced developers? This sounds
like a very strong statement.

What happens to these inexperienced developers after 1, 2 or
more years? Don't they eventyally gain experience? What
happens then? Don't they develop their skills further?
Do they leave the company?
How come the company ends up with so many inexperienced
developers so that it has to maintain almost all of its
projects using them and almost only them?

> 3. If there are no  large scale perl projects, there is no incentive to learn perl.So..
> back to 1.-->

I don't get this claim.

How is the scale of the project a factor here?

Perl is a programming language that offers a set of tools.
If a developer is happy with the set of tools that s/he
acquired and has no intentions to learn new things unless a
project requires it then this is one thing.

By being exposed to a new set of tools, and learning how to
use if properly and when it is useful to be used, you end up
with the right material to make a good call when to use
these tools. This is not only relevant for Perl, by the way.

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il
http://yeda.cs.technion.ac.il/~yona/