[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Elizabeth Sterling elizabeth at sparkthing.com
Thu Mar 8 07:20:47 PST 2007

> 2. If you don't want to end up with a hard-to-maintain product and you want to speedup the development with perl you need a  very experienced developers.

    I disagree with both this point and the one following it,
completely. The old Amazon code that was written in c++, before they
moved over to Perl, was complete spaghetti and we'd pull our hair out
trying to maintain it. And that's considering that there was quite a
team of very experienced programmers working there from day one.

   If you want to avoid poor design and development and if you want
easy to maintain code, you need strong technical leadership within
your team. That leader might be a Technical Project Lead or an
Engineering Lead or just a bound and determined loud mouth on your
team who insists on certain stable practices.

Even with a fairly inexperienced team, you can make Perl work well if
you have a leader that knows how to mentor. Mind you, mentoring shouldn't
be babysitting, and a mentor needn't be the same as a trainer. A team lead
that can teach the team various best practices and keep them to company
and/or community standards in a macro-management way (as opposed to the
helicopter-style micro-management), can make the power of the language
work for the project without sacrificing good, usable, maintainable
code.

- Elizabeth Sterling

--
"In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in elementary
school computer labs ..., is the children are being trained to use