[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:57:06 PST 2007

> However Perl does luck IDE in level of Visual Studio.

Eclipse E-P-I-C plugin is a making pretty good progress lately after
being stalled for over a year, so that's becoming a selling point.

But it is hard to explain to developers, let alone bosses, that as a
programming language Perl is at least as powerful as C# / VB / Java
and as a reusable code library CPAN is as good as .NET. (It is much
more portable than any of them, but unfortunately few people care
about it.) But CPAN is openly, proudly and pathologically eclectic,
while .NET is pathologically corporate, but if you ask me - quite
eclectic in its own right. It's very well marketed, though.

I had moderate success "selling" Perl to my boss as a good solution
for a certain testing project we have done lately. After being used
successfully for a few months it is now being rewritten as a bigger
.NET + XML solution.

After the same amount of man-hours has been invested in the phat .NET
solution as in the Perl prototype, the Perl prototype still performs
better than the new .NET app in all areas, and the boss still doesn't
want to replace it! So i consider it a success.