[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Elizabeth Sterling elizabeth at sparkthing.com
Fri Mar 2 12:20:11 PST 2007

Just for kicks and giggles, I decided to do a Dice.com search for
Perl. There are currently 5307 jobs that mention Perl as a keyword.
>From my quick scan, there are Perl full-time jobs and long term
contracts for Web developers, database applications (not necessarily
web-based), software testing automation, sysadmins, and even C++ and
Java developers who are required to also have Perl skills. Those jobs
are almost exclusively in the US (none are in Israel), but they give
you a good idea of what companies elsewhere are doing with Perl.

Why aren't companies here doing those same things with Perl? Now,
that's a really good question. Maybe it's like Guy said, and people in
Israel just like to follow the herd. If the herd isn't playing with
Perl, then it must be no good.

But, do you have to prove that "everyone else" is doing something to
make it worthwhile here? Or can you just show that it can save money
and get the job done faster? If the second is the case, then great!
There are tons of white papers out there about how Perl can be used to
save companies money while developing robust applications. Go find
some of them and then write white papers of your own using the others
as references. Only write these articles in Hebrew, and make sure that
you aim them for a management audience, not a developer audience.

We developers have a great habit of sitting around talking about what
could or should be happening with systems and code and architecture,
but the people making the decisions aren't hearing it. So we should
all stop preaching to the choir, and start talking to the people who
actually make the decisions.

-Elizabeth

--
"In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in elementary
school computer labs ..., is the children are being trained to use