[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Pinkhas Nisanov pinkhas at nisanov.com
Fri Mar 2 02:17:37 PST 2007

On 3/1/07, Yona Shlomo <yona at cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Pinkhas Nisanov wrote:
>
> > but I feel that here, in Israel, it's very hard for perl programmer to get
> > even average salary for good programmer.
>
> Why do you feel this way?

It's enough for java ( c++, c#, ... ) programmer to have experience
only in one language to get good salary. I feel it's not the case for perl
( python, ruby, ... ) programmers. In some cases it's even better
you will not mention that you know perl, because some managers
do not like strange people that know strange languages.
You can say, there are no many big projects written in perl, so there is
no need for full time perl programmer. The question is, why most of
new projects are not written in perl ( python, ruby, ..., if you will suggest
"haskel" you will lose your job )? What I want to say, it's not because
there are no perl programmers. I never saw that some company wanted
so much to write new project in perl, that they were ready to pay to
perl programmer above average salary ( I saw such companies abroad ).
I feel "lack of perl programmers" is just a pretext.

thanks
Pinkhas Nisanov