[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:39:58 PDT 2007

> Of course, right now I find that often Perl is the right langauge for me
> to use, not because it is the most suitable language for that in the world,
> but because I've invested a lot of time knowing it, and because of CPAN and
> other code that I can make use of.

CPAN is a huge advantage, and even people who dislike Perl's syntax admit it.

And don't forget that Perl is much more likely to be found on legacy
Unix machines, which are very common.

> > > 4. The online Perl resources are often inadequate for pointing someone
> > > who's interested in learning the language into the right direction.
> >
> > Maybe it's just me, but i totally LOVED the organization of
> > perl(perl|re|func|data|syn|yadda) manpages.
> >

> I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about the online sites -
> http://perl.com/ , http://perl.org/ , http://learn.perl.org/ , etc.

Perl is in a FAR better situation here, in comparison to Linux, for example.

When i have Linux problems, i feel helpless very often; Linux.org is
total crap, and Linux.com is a good news site, but no so good for
support. All distribution sites are a mess (Ubuntu.com have nice
icons, but it's a nightmare to find even the most basic
troubleshooting documentation). So i am left to the mercy of Google
and random forums and i always fear the RTFM reply.

I *never* feel so helpless with Perl. In the rare case when i can't
solve a problem with the perl* manpages or the Camel book, i can
always find the solution on perlmonks, and if i am the first person to
ask the question on perlmonks, i get GOOD replies very quickly. In
this regard i see no problem with online Perl community support.

Perl.com is a good news site for fans of Perl and i visit it often for
updates. Now that i read the Hacker's Guide to Marketing, i agree that
the Perl.com *homepage* could take a few hints from www.ruby-lang.org
, but on the whole, Perl.com is infinitely better.

Perl.org is mostly OK as the hub for developers of the Perl compiler -
it's not supposed to be a support site, but it does link to monks.