[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Jun 7 08:07:24 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> > 3. Workplaces want their programmers to know Perl (or whatever)
> > yesterday, instead of training bright and intelligent ones, and expecting
> > them to grow.
>
> I personally don't believe in formal frontal training, although i
> still do it from time to time, both as a student and as the lecturer.
>
> I was lucky to be in workplaces that let me train myself the necessary
> Perl skills.

Perhaps "training" was a mis-phrasing on my part. It naturally includes
self-training or other forms of education. Or training by co-workers.

> > Now Perl does not have a hype machine, and actually got a lot of negative
> > FUD, so few programmers seem to learn it now not as part of their jobs.
>
> I successfully dismissed anti-Perl FUD several times by showing my
> bosses that Perl is a language for getting my job done, without
> talking too much about it.

True. Of course, right now I find that often Perl is the right langauge for me
to use, not because it is the most suitable language for that in the world,
but because I've invested a lot of time knowing it, and because of CPAN and
other code that I can make use of. If I start programming in Python, Ruby,
PHP or a different dynamic language, then writing code will be done with much
less fluency and straight-forwardness, and I may find myself re-implementing
many CPAN modules. That and handling obscure errors generated by the compiler
will take more time.

> > 4. The online Perl resources are often inadequate for pointing someone
> > who's interested in learning the language into the right direction.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but i totally LOVED the organization of
> perl(perl|re|func|data|syn|yadda) manpages. I find it very intuitive
> and easy to use, and also easy to explain, although i'm not completely
> sure that it's easy for everyone to understand ;)

I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about the online sites -
http://perl.com/ , http://perl.org/ , http://learn.perl.org/ , etc.

> > See for example:
> >
> > http://www.sparkthis.com/2006/02/slides_the_hack.html
>
> Link to PDF seems to be 404 :(

Sorry to hear that. :-) Sic Transit Gloria of various Web Resources.

It's temporarily available here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/text/

> I emailed the guy.

Thanks.