[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 6 20:50:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Shmuel Fomberg wrote:

>> A good programmer should be able to pick up Perl (or any
>> other programming language) independently. I don't get your
>> complaint here.
>
> I have to disagree with you on this point. The general demand for
> programmers is usually for C++, C#, Java. Why would a future candidate
> waste his time on some bizarre language, instead of focusing on more
> probable career paths? Or are you expecting him to learn Perl especially
> for your opening?

I'm not sure that building a career based on a programming
language is a good idea.
A programming language is just one tool, not the full
arsenal of tools.
I believe that a fixation on a programming language does
more hard than a benefit to the career of a software
developer.

> In my opinion, companies that need Perl programmers should understand
> that they also need to train them. And it's not such a hard task
> because, like you said, good programmer should be able to pick up Perl,
> using a good book, in about a week.

This should equally apply for any other programming language
and technology, no? How many C courses are there in the
industry, compared to Perl courses? Why?

>> Perl has quite good documentation, and literature, in my
>> opinion. It is also fairly easy to get the list of "must
>> read" according to your level in Perl.
>
> I consider Perl as a scam to sell books. So we disagree on this point
> too. :-)

I think that you can do fairly well with the perldoc
documentation. If you want books, you have those too.
Scam or no scam -- the fact remains that there are quite a
few good Perl books our there.

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il