[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Shmuel Fomberg semuelf at 012.net.il
Wed Jun 6 10:56:01 PDT 2007

Hello All.

Shlomo Wrote:

>> 3. Workplaces want their programmers to know Perl (or whatever)
>> yesterday, instead of training bright and intelligent ones, and
expecting
>> them to grow.
>> Now Perl does not have a hype machine, and actually got a lot of
negative
>> FUD, so few programmers seem to learn it now not as part of their
jobs.

> A good programmer should be able to pick up Perl (or any
> other programming language) independently. I don't get your
> complaint here.

I have to disagree with you on this point. The general demand for
programmers is usually for C++, C#, Java. Why would a future candidate
waste his time on some bizarre language, instead of focusing on more
probable career paths? Or are you expecting him to learn Perl especially
for your opening?
In my opinion, companies that need Perl programmers should understand
that they also need to train them. And it's not such a hard task
because, like you said, good programmer should be able to pick up Perl,
using a good book, in about a week.

> Perl has quite good documentation, and literature, in my
> opinion. It is also fairly easy to get the list of "must
> read" according to your level in Perl.

I consider Perl as a scam to sell books. So we disagree on this point
too. :-)

Shmuel.