[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 6 04:51:00 PDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Shlomi Fish wrote:

I seem to have trouble accepting every one of your "facts":

> 1. Workplaces don't give their workers adequate conditions. Either the pay is
> too low, but often the other conditions are bad - overworking them, not
> enough (or even non-existent) snacks, bad co-workers, unrealistic schedules,
> bad software management, too few paid vacation days, etc.

Is this a fact? I disagree.
Sure, there are places like that. But not all workplaces are
as you describe.
Moreover, the more you are an attractive employee, the more
the company will (probably) invest in you.

> 2. Workplaces cannot recognise good workers when they see them, or let them
> get lost in confusion, bureacuracy or politics (happened to me many times),
> and are too clueless to know how to keep them, and that they should in fact
> do their best to keep them.

That may be sometimes true. There's a lot that an employee
can do in order to play the game correctly. It requires some
social skills, though and some experience too.

> 3. Workplaces want their programmers to know Perl (or whatever) yesterday,
> instead of training bright and intelligent ones, and expecting them to grow.
> Now Perl does not have a hype machine, and actually got a lot of negative
> FUD, so few programmers seem to learn it now not as part of their jobs.

A good programmer should be able to pick up Perl (or any
other programming language) independently. I don't get your
complaint here.

And regarding issue number 4:
Perl has quite good documentation, and literature, in my
opinion. It is also fairly easy to get the list of "must
read" according to your level in Perl.

Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il