[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 6 04:51:00 PDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Shlomi Fish wrote:

I seem to have trouble accepting every one of your "facts":

> 1. Workplaces don't give their workers adequate conditions. Either the pay is
> too low, but often the other conditions are bad - overworking them, not
> enough (or even non-existent) snacks, bad co-workers, unrealistic schedules,
> bad software management, too few paid vacation days, etc.

Is this a fact? I disagree.
Sure, there are places like that. But not all workplaces are
as you describe.
Moreover, the more you are an attractive employee, the more
the company will (probably) invest in you.

> 2. Workplaces cannot recognise good workers when they see them, or let them
> get lost in confusion, bureacuracy or politics (happened to me many times),
> and are too clueless to know how to keep them, and that they should in fact
> do their best to keep them.

That may be sometimes true. There's a lot that an employee
can do in order to play the game correctly. It requires some
social skills, though and some experience too.

> 3. Workplaces want their programmers to know Perl (or whatever) yesterday,
> instead of training bright and intelligent ones, and expecting them to grow.
> Now Perl does not have a hype machine, and actually got a lot of negative
> FUD, so few programmers seem to learn it now not as part of their jobs.

A good programmer should be able to pick up Perl (or any
other programming language) independently. I don't get your
complaint here.

And regarding issue number 4:
Perl has quite good documentation, and literature, in my
opinion. It is also fairly easy to get the list of "must
read" according to your level in Perl.

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il