[Israel.pm] A surge in Perl job offerings

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 03:03:46 PDT 2007

> 3. Workplaces want their programmers to know Perl (or whatever) yesterday,
> instead of training bright and intelligent ones, and expecting them to grow.

I personally don't believe in formal frontal training, although i
still do it from time to time, both as a student and as the lecturer.

I was lucky to be in workplaces that let me train myself the necessary
Perl skills.

> Now Perl does not have a hype machine, and actually got a lot of negative
> FUD, so few programmers seem to learn it now not as part of their jobs.

I successfully dismissed anti-Perl FUD several times by showing my
bosses that Perl is a language for getting my job done, without
talking too much about it.

> 4. The online Perl resources are often inadequate for pointing someone who's
> interested in learning the language into the right direction.

Maybe it's just me, but i totally LOVED the organization of
perl(perl|re|func|data|syn|yadda) manpages. I find it very intuitive
and easy to use, and also easy to explain, although i'm not completely
sure that it's easy for everyone to understand ;)

> See for example:
>
> http://www.sparkthis.com/2006/02/slides_the_hack.html

Link to PDF seems to be 404 :(

I emailed the guy.