[Israel.pm] Spotted on #perl

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Jun 1 06:37:27 PDT 2007

[ Replying only to Perl-IL. ]

On Friday 01 June 2007, Yuval Kogman wrote:
> Thanks, but no thanks.

Hi Yuval!

May I inquire why do you sign each and every one of your emails, including
silly ones like the one you just wrote, with your GPG Key? Whatever you sign
with your private key is legally binding, and can be used as hard evidence
against you or anyone else. I hardly sign anything I write under my GPG key,
because:

1. I don't fear being impersonated much. (Did it happen to you?)

2. I don't think what I write is worthy as having my signature (digital or
hand-written) on. It's not that serious, and I don't want it to be legally
binding.

And I should note that your email, in which you didn't quote anything I wrote,
but rather replied in one line ("Thanks, but no thanks.") in one-line,
without even a "Hi Shlomi!" or a more verbose explanation, or anything that
didn't require being a "Neuro Lingual Programming" master to understand[1]
was OK.

When I write important emails, including all emails that arrive at mailing
lists, and all emails to people whom I care for their opinion, I take the
time and phrase them correctly. This was also the case for this email. There
are some email netiquette resources on the web, and different aspects are
covered in the (original) "Pragmatic Programmer" book (which I bought and
started reading, and so far enjoyed).

I hope I'm not too edgy, preachy and tactless here, but I think what I'm
saying makes sense. My point is that hardly anyone can take such ill-phrased
and laconic emails seriously. I was offended from this email, and I believe
anyone else would.

Plaintext messaging on the Internet makes conveying one's messages much harder
than in real life, and this means you have to explain what you mean. Some
people believe that "brevity is God", but I think it's still second to
actually getting the correct message across. (Assuming the recipient is not
an idiot, and has minimal text-understanding skills)

While I could have simply said "Go to hell" as this message, which would have
been much shorter, I chose to explain and elaborate on what I wanted to say
and say it more politely.

This discussion really took an ugly turn. Feel free not to feed the trolls (in
this case Yuval and I).

[1] - I'm not but I believe I could tell what you meant, nonetheless.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

    -- An Israeli Linuxer