[Israel.pm] תשובה: talk proposal -- XML Schema built in simple typerepresentation

Yaron Golan yargolan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:26:58 PDT 2007

I am .

-----הודעה מקורית-----
מאת: perl-bounces at perl.org.il [mailto:perl-bounces at perl.org.il] בשם Yona
Shlomo
נשלח: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 13:10
אל: perl at perl.org.il
נושא: [Israel.pm] talk proposal -- XML Schema built in simple
typerepresentation

Hello,

I'd like to propose a talk for one of the upcomming Perl Mongers meetings
(September before Yuval's talk or in
October):

Title:
"XML Schema built in simple types hierarchy representation as a case study
on how to refactore ad-hoc data structure representation to Object Oriented
Perl"

(an equally interesting talk, in my opinion can be with a similar title
except replacing Object Oriented Perl with Higher Order Perl)

Abstract:
I'll briefly introduce the XML Schema built in simple types as described in
XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition W3C Recommendation 28 October
2004, section 3 [1].
Then I'll present an ad-hoc hashes-of-hashes representation of this
information.
Finally, we'll discuss and see example of Object Oriented representation of
the same information.

One of the goals of this exercise is to produce a CPAN Perl module
(actually, a set of Perl modules) that will encapsulate the knowledge from
XML Schema of its built in simple types and allow easy manipulation,
restriction and derivation of them. This should be a useful bootstrapping
for XML Schema Processing in Perl (e.g., Schema Validation) and a good start
for developing XML Schema aware XML processing tools such as XSLT 2.0, XPath
2.0 and XQuery 1.0 processors.

The talk can take several flavors:
* a more XML Schema technical debate where Object Orientation
   is an instrument and not the purpose
* a more Object Oriented focused talk where the model is only
   an instrument for discussing OO Perl
* a more Functional Programming focused talk where we end up
   with an inside-out implementation in Perl rather than an OO one.

So if you want to attend this talk, let me know it and let me also know your
desired falvor -- I'll give the talk if enough interest is expressed and
will do it in the most popular flavor :-)

Duration:60-120 minutes, depending on audience participation

When I say Object Oriented Perl, I mean OO along the lines described in
Demian Conway's Object Oriented Perl book [2].

When I say Higher Order Perl or Functional Programming in Perl I mean HOP
along the lines described in MJD's HOP book [3].

Anyone interested in this talk?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#built-in-datatypes
[2] http://www.manning.com/conway/
[3] http://hop.perl.plover.com/