[Israel.pm] PDL

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:01:10 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to move away from Windows as much as i can. I don't need it
for anything, but my wife is doing her second degree in Physics (she
is a lot more smarter than i am) and she is a heavy user of scientific
software, in particular MATLAB.

I don't know almost anything about this kind of software, but some
people claim that PDL is a worthy and free competitor to MATLAB.

Does anyone on this list have positive experience with it? If you can
compare it to MATLAB, it would be nice too.

I know i can search for such comparisons on the web, but it will be
particularly useful to know how does PDL fit into the Israeli academic
environment (my wife studies in the Hebrew University) - for example
would it possible to prepare a thesis in Physics in HUJI or Technion
(solid state, semiconductors, etc.) using PDL instead of MATLAB.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni
my band: http://www.myspace.com/tzabari/