[Israel.pm] tag clouds, folksonomy,

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:47:20 PDT 2007

On 7/3/07, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/07, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/3/07, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > OK so I can put a CAPTCHA on the registration form and reduce the likelyness
> > > to spam it. (Though I have another very good system to avoid spam on
> > > CPAN::Forum:
> > > it requires sort-of XHTML markup that noone knows how to write :-( )
> >
> > I personally against CAPTCHA, I find it many time unreadable, while
> > OCR can simply "understand" it...
>
> Well, as I never used http://del.icio.us/ earlier I decided to give it a try.
> I had to fill out the CAPTCHA 4 or 5 times as it kept complaining about
> some of the values I entered in the other fields, mailny that my
> password was not good enough. I don't get it why can't they accept that
> if I am a human who can recognize the captcha once then I can do it 4
> more times...
> Whatever.

That's exactly my point. I find it hard to pass many types of CAPTCHA,
while there are few scripts out there that might be way too good to be
human...

> > I personally using Turing questions, that is a question that can only
> > have one answer, for example, "what direction is the opposite of
> > left" or "does one plus two not equal three ?"
> >
> > You can have a big question bank (It took me to create several
> > Hondurans questions in 3 hours.. but if many people helps you, you can
> > create even more).
>
> I wonder how long will it take for the spammers to build the same database...

You can always create a random math problems in words such as:
1 * 2 / 4 = 94 (when answer is either true, false, or the =, or some
other thing).
You can also make questions such as: "what is the 4th number from
right to left" in random generating numbers... there are many ways to
attack this... and I belive that if you make it simple, everyone can
answer this.
Another type is, what is the current tag that appear on the screen
(where it can be some random tag with some unique id only for this).
Another issue, is how popular will the site become.. while there are
many already written captcha engines, this types of questions requires
dedicate bots and spiders, and keep on updating the database.

> > Why not save every tag for a specific user that using it that is like
> > del.iciu.us  ?
> > When there are are many people that using the same tag, you can make
> > it bigger ...
>
> Sound like a good idea.
> Another issue I found with del.icio.us is that it does not allow tags
> of multiple words
> as it uses space as the tag separator and did not even accept quotatin marks.
> I think it would be better to allow tags with more than one word in them.
>
> As another thought I might enable people add   tag+ and tag-  with the
> + and - meaning
> if they like the module or not for that spec purposes.
>
> Though that might be an overkill maybe just allow people to say "I am
> using this module"
> and "I like this module" or "I dislike this module".

Like digg and reddit ?

Another way you can determine how much someone like it or not, by
placing for example a tag of "i like this" that you can count how much
like it... :)

But I belive that first it should be built and be on a run test, and
then it will be easier to see where to expand and what path to take.

> Gabor

Just my 0.5 cent :)

Ido
--