[Israel.pm] tag clouds, folksonomy,

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:31:09 PDT 2007

On 7/3/07, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK so I can put a CAPTCHA on the registration form and reduce the likelyness
> > to spam it. (Though I have another very good system to avoid spam on
> > CPAN::Forum:
> > it requires sort-of XHTML markup that noone knows how to write :-( )
>
> I personally against CAPTCHA, I find it many time unreadable, while
> OCR can simply "understand" it...

Well, as I never used http://del.icio.us/ earlier I decided to give it a try.
I had to fill out the CAPTCHA 4 or 5 times as it kept complaining about
some of the values I entered in the other fields, mailny that my
password was not good enough. I don't get it why can't they accept that
if I am a human who can recognize the captcha once then I can do it 4
more times...
Whatever.

> I personally using Turing questions, that is a question that can only
> have one answer, for example, "what direction is the opposite of
> left" or "does one plus two not equal three ?"
>
> You can have a big question bank (It took me to create several
> Hondurans questions in 3 hours.. but if many people helps you, you can
> create even more).

I wonder how long will it take for the spammers to build the same database...

> Why not save every tag for a specific user that using it that is like
> del.iciu.us  ?
> When there are are many people that using the same tag, you can make
> it bigger ...

Sound like a good idea.
Another issue I found with del.icio.us is that it does not allow tags
of multiple words
as it uses space as the tag separator and did not even accept quotatin marks.
I think it would be better to allow tags with more than one word in them.

As another thought I might enable people add   tag+ and tag-  with the
+ and - meaning
if they like the module or not for that spec purposes.

Though that might be an overkill maybe just allow people to say "I am
using this module"
and "I like this module" or "I dislike this module".