[Israel.pm] An OOP Pattern Discovered by Accident

ik idokan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:13:21 PST 2007

On 1/28/07, Oded Arbel <oded-linux at typo.co.il> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 23:04 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Eh. That's the one thing I'm missing when comparing perl to Java :
> > > automated refactoring.
> >
> > Well, there's a difference between automated refactoring and automated code
> > generation, which is what you've mentioned before.
>
> Nitpicking.
>
> >  You can automatically
> > generate Perl code if that's what you need,
>
> Not conveniently - Eclipse writes core for me on the fly as I'm
> programming. I suspect that when you say that I can "generate perl code"
> is that I write some other code to generate more code - during compile
> or during runtime (like you showed in your previous e-mail), while I'm
> looking for something more.. how shall I say it... ehmm... automatic.
> Hey! that's the word I used before, I appear to be repeating myself :-(

Sorry Shlmoif, but I have a small question, what is the difference
between what Shlmif wish to have and between using RTTI based solution
such as: http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/typinfo/index.html ?

Please note that Lazarus (and Delphi of curse) also allows me to
refactor my code, and adds a lot of code for me without the need of
writing ... And many of the tricks implemented by using RTTI (take a
look at the "Object Inspector" for example)...

Yes, eclipses check you while you type (so does Delphi), but sometimes
it causes you a lot of problems on the way ... Personally I prefer the
way that Lazarus/Delphi checks things rather then Eclipse (on
compile/syntax check option etc.. it starts adds things, warns me on
unused stuff etc... and not on write time).

> > but automatically refactoring it
> > is not possible at the moment, except for some basic stuff using
> > Devel::Refactor.
>
> It would be cool if someone would integrate this with some editor, which
> Devel::Refactor seems to be begging for - it looks to me rather useless
> w/o such integration.
>
> >  Moreover, the refactorings provided by Eclipse and other
> > Java IDEs are only a subset of the refactorings covered in the "Refactoring"
> > book by Martin Fowler.
>
> I'll take 10% done over 0% done any day of the week, thank you very
> much.
>
> --
> Oded
> ::..
> Still, read as a parody, it is hilarious.
>     -- Ahasuerus, on the one Gor book he read (to 30%)

Ido
--
http://ik.homelinux.org/