[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Elizabeth Sterling elizabeth at sparkthing.com
Wed Feb 28 08:08:48 PST 2007

There are lots of big projects that use Perl, though. Perl is an
excellent option for certain Web development, for sure. Amazon uses
it, and they switched over from an entirely home-grown language
developed in C++ that they used for "Webdev" over to Perl. Cisco uses
a lot of Perl in house for all sorts of projects, some of them quite
large. Wells Fargo Bank in the US is also known for using Perl in
large projects that can effect entire business units across the bank
nationally.

Most large Perl projects are, in fact, made up of many small scripts.
The way that they hold together is different from the way that a
compiled language solution would. In many cases, Perl is used as glue
between pieces of a project that are built in a compiled language.
This glue function can turn out to be quite large over an entire
enterprise.

- Elizabeth

--
"In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in elementary
school computer labs ..., is the children are being trained to use