[Israel.pm] GD::SecurityImage vs other captcha generators?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Feb 28 12:47:06 PST 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007, Sagiv Barhoom wrote:
> hi all
> I want to use captcha (to ensure that a human is making the request)
> can anyone refer me to a compression of captcha thchnologies (I could not
> find one)?
> did any one use GD::SecurityImage ? I am not sure  if it is a good enough
> for my needs.

I did not have any experience with GD::SecurityImage. Instead I implemented my
own Captcha logic in this web application of mine:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/WWW-OneTable-MiniReporter/trunk/

To see the changes, run the command:

svn diff -r 1724:1725 $URL

with the URL I gave.

Note that this is a simple textual captcha, but it was enough to completely
eliminate the spam postings to the IGLU Jobs database (
http://www.iglu.org.il/jobs/ ) so far. Image captchas are a huge
accessibility problem for sight-impaired people.

For other ways to battle form spam see:

http://www.google.com/search?q=form+spam&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il