[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Feb 28 11:44:24 PST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Levenglick Dov-RM07994 wrote:
> Perl is, by nature and definition, a scripting language. As a result, I
> fail to see why anyone would consider using it for large projects when a
> compiled language would run that much faster.

Hi Dov!

The term "scripting language" when applied to Perl, Python, Ruby and friends
is anachronistic and misleading. While one can easily write scripts using
these languages, one can also write large-scale applications using them. In
fact, their dynamic nature that makes them great for scripts, also make
writing serious code that actually does something in them, much easier to
write quickly, as well.

Now, you said that people would prefer to use a compiled language (C or
whatever) because it would run much faster. While it is true that the most
optimised C code will beat the code of Perl/Python/Ruby hands down, often
Perl will run fast enough so it won't matter that much. Well, not much that
you'd like to invest the extra time, man power and other resources for
writing and maintaining much more code in a lower-level language.

Some applications are even I/O bound where using Perl instead of C will not
make much a difference. And if the need arises, you can implement some
time-critical sections in C, while leaving most of the code in Perl.

Speed is not the only factor that matters in large-scale application, and it
often has a low priority. Large-scale applications are being written in
Perl/Python/PHP/Ruby/etc. despite the fact that they are slower than C.

So this argument does not hold water.

P.S.: according to http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html :

Let's start by acknowledging one external factor that does affect the
popularity of a programming language. To become popular, a programming
language has to be the scripting language of a popular system. Fortran and
Cobol were the scripting languages of early IBM mainframes. C was the
scripting language of Unix, and so, later, was Perl. Tcl is the scripting
language of Tk. Java and Javascript are intended to be the scripting
languages of web browsers.

So C, COBOL and Fortran were once scripting languages.