[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Yossi Itzkovich Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Wed Feb 28 10:44:21 PST 2007

 Shlomo Yona wrote:
> Good developers are hard to find.
> Perl developers are no exception in my opinion.

I agree, but I think that if you take the langauage knowledge of the
"low" 50% of C++ programmers (for example) is more than the same group
in Perl.  This is again because the fact that scripting langauages are
used more often to solve small problems (and that is what people mean
when they say "script"), so you don't need to know too much.
Additionally (but very similar) is the fact that usually Perl is not the
main langauage programmers use. They use Perl to automate small tasks,
to write more complicated scripts than shells, and as a general aid to
do the main task (.. That is written in C, C++, Java etc.)

Yossi

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il