[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Wed Feb 28 08:34:48 PST 2007

On Wednesday, 28 בFebruary 2007 16:53, Levenglick Dov-RM07994 wrote:
> Perl is, by nature and definition, a scripting language.

All modern scripting languages (including perl) are compiled
to some byte code (this has been true for more than a decade).

> As a result, I fail to see why anyone would consider using it for large
> projects when a compiled language would run that much faster.

What compiled language? C, Java, C#, two of these languages have byte
code that runs on a virtual machine.

So by definition your argument reduce to the relative performance
of a specific byte code interpreter (Jit compile etc.) at some
specific version. Generalizing under these circumstances is
a mistake even if perl-5.8.8 performs better (or worse)
than C# version 3.1415 or Java-1.6beta42.

Bye,

ICQ UIN: 16527398

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
         (H. Spencer)