[Israel.pm] Is there a lack of (good) Perl programmers?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:08:58 PST 2007

I have heard it from many sources and my recent search brought up only
very few people
so now I wonder if that's true and if there is anything we can do about it?

I have heard claims that one of the problems is that Perl isn't a
carrier option:

If you learn C, Java or .NET you have plenty of places to go, plenty
of opportunities.
On the other hand you cant go to many places and use Perl for advanced stuff.

I personally hardly know any companies where Perl is used for large
things but even
some of those want to switch. Partially because they don't find good Perl
programmers.

What do you think?