[Israel.pm] embedding perl or not

Yossi Itzkovich Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Tue Feb 6 00:26:07 PST 2007

Hi

I have a C++ program that should read an ini file.  The ini contains
simple conditions that indicate which value to be used and when, such as
:
(Example 1):
FieldName= COND:cond1 || cond2,VALUE: valueA, COND: cond3 && cond4,
VALUE: valueB

Our current code knows how to support such simple conditions.  But if we
want to use complicated conditions like:
(Example 2)
COND:(cond1 || cond2) && cond3    (- and this is the simplest among
complicated)
Or to have in VALUE  simple arithmetics  (for example, VALUE: MAX_INT-1)
then  I need much more complicated parser.

I see 2 options (except inventing the wheel):
1. Embed Perl in my code. Use current parser that I have, replace in the
original expression the cond1,cond2 tokens with the real value that I
compute in run time, and let Perl handles the boolean (+parenthesis)
expressions.  Using the Exmaple2 from above, Perl will see :
(Example 2b):
COND:(1 || 0) && 1

Which Perl can calulate easily.  This way the conditions  can be very
complicated .

2. Another way is to use a C/C++ library that knows to do this kind of
parsing ( parenthesis, boolean)

My questions:
Which options seems the best ?  Is there a C/C++ library that does what
I want ?

Thanks for your help

Yossi