[Israel.pm] JRuby and JPerl

Oded Arbel oded-linux at typo.co.il
Mon Dec 31 07:57:19 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:33 +0200, Yossi Itzkovich wrote:
> Is ther a ***good** reason why there is Jruby and not Jperl ?
> See for example:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/scripting/jruby/

No good ones. For embedding Java into Perl, Inline Java
( http://search.cpan.org/~patl/Inline-Java/Java.pod ) is your "JPerl".
For the other way around, I'm sure its not much of a problem - as
there's libperl that does the same for C I don't think it would be
considerably difficult to do something like this or even use libperl for
running perl from Java. As to the missing Sun's JPerl brand, I would
hazard a guess that as Ruby's object oriented syntax looks more
appealing to Java speakers then its a much more interesting target for
dynamic language experimentation. On the same venue I would expect
JPython to appear on the scene much earlier then JPerl.

--

Oded