[Israel.pm] Starting XML

Jason Elbaum jason.elbaum at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 09:09:32 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 6:43 PM, Yona Shlomo <yona at cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> Thinking data-mining: feed your files into an XML database
> (e.g., http://exist.sourceforge.net/,
> http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/xml/index.html)
> and then use either SQL or XQuery in order to query them.

Interesting. The added challenge in my case is that much of the data
of interest is encoded textually in the game event description field,
using a limited English grammar of combined stock subphrases, such as
"Player X did Y with a Z to Q; W followed." That field has to be
parsed and its data contents extracted to produce the actual event
data fields. Querying the original XML files would therefore seem to
be inadequate. The original data has to be transformed before it can
be efficiently queried.

> Not necessarily by you. If you use XML databade, you might
> only need to define semantics (e.g., schema, relations between names
> and types)

Unfortunately, I'd also have to define a grammar and semantics for the
textual description field. I doubt that functionality exists
integrated into an XML database.

Jason