[Israel.pm] Starting XML

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Fri Dec 14 06:10:25 PST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Jason Elbaum wrote:

> I don't know much about XML beyond the basics, but I'd like to be able
> to read some relatively small XML files and extract elements of the
> contents. (I'm still working out what to do with them next. Maybe
> build a database.)

Sounds like you need very basic functionality.

> What's the simplest way to do that?

Get an XML Processor (I understand you need XML parsing
functionality), such as libxml2, xerces, XML::Twig, or any
other tool and use its API for querying what you need.

If you know what structure you're expecting then going for
XPath might prove easiest.

> (If it's not Perlish, I don't mind. Whichever language does it best.)

Perl has a lot of cool interfaces to XML processors. I
personally like XML::Twig, but others exist too.

What is an example to what you're trying to do?

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il
http://yeda.cs.technion.ac.il/~yona/