[Israel.pm] Starting XML

Jason Elbaum jason.elbaum at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:48:55 PST 2007

> Here's how I learned what I know of XML:
>
> 1....
> 2....
> 3....
> 4....
> 5....

See, that's just the thing. I don't want to learn all that about XML,
at least not right now. I don't want to mangle it, transform it or
validate it.

I just want to parse a relatively small, relatively simple XML file
and easily extract the contents. I want to say, "Please give me the
contents of the foo attribute in all the bar tags which are nested
within baz tags with attribute quz." Or "Iterate over the fred tags
and give me their smludges".

I may then process the data directly, or write it out to a text or CSV
file, or make a database out of it. It won't be going back into XML.

I shouldn't have to know much about XML to do this (no more than I
already do, in fact), and I shouldn't have to read acres of
documentation to learn how. Right?

Regards,

Jason