[Israel.pm] On ack and GNU grep

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:13:20 PDT 2007

On 20 Aug 2007 14:34:33 +0300, Yuval Kogman wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 08:46:29 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > I try to come with good use cases where it's a more right tool than grep
> > and I can't. GNU grep does colors too, and multiple --exclude '*.rb',
> > and even extra features like context lines.
> >
> > Unfortunately ack is much slower then grep (about 9 times), and yes, I
> > speak about "grep -r --exclude" or "grep -P PERL_REGEXP long file list".
>
> The point of ack is that people for whom ack is fast enough don't
> have to write their own aliases, bash functions and grep wrappers
> ;-)

And as such ack is ok. The point I wanted to make is the ack doc is very
unfair toward grep. By saying that it trumps grep 99% of the time, it
confused at least one man. I expected an improved speed on large dirs.
;-)

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
pugs -e '"d9b815c07f9b8d1e".split("").map:{chr:16($_)+64}.say'