[Israel.pm] On ack and GNU grep

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:22:30 PDT 2007

On 19 Aug 2007 23:37:29 +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> I tried ack  and liked it. Yous should also give it a try

But it is written in pure perl, so it should be quite slower then grep.
BTW, run grep with LANG=C to speed it up under unicode locale.

Also, it seems the author thinks that GNU grep does not handle perl
regexps. This is not true, and I use them heavily. Something like this:
some perl code generates a perl regexp and opens "grep", "-rlP" with it.

  grep --help | grep perl

Now, if you find a program that does perl regexps and is available on all
platforms (like GNU grep) and is faster than grep, then let me know,
because I need it badly on large directories. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
perl -le 'print+chr(64+hex)for+split//,d9b815c07f9b8d1e'