[Israel.pm] music

Uri Bruck bruck at actcom.net.il
Fri Apr 6 08:10:14 PDT 2007

Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>>> I'm playing in a band and we are trying to write down our songs in a
>>> simple way which the whole band would understand. I'm not talking
>>> necessarily about musical notation, but more about a simple tab-like
>>> representation of parts which every instrument plays.
>>>
>> Any sequencing program with a piano-roll view, which is almost any
>> sequencing programs.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> We use Cubase for recording, which is a kind of a piano-roll program.
> However, it's way too complicated to write simple verbal comments
> there, which for me would me much more important than musical
> notation. And it doesn't work well with Hebrew.
>
> Please correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i understand MIDI is
> good mostly for describing notes and instruments for the computer,
> while i'm talking about something that explains synchronization of
> music and lyrics for people in human language.
The MIDI file format supports text meta events. The spec says it's
supposed to support ASCII, so even a sequencer that supports that meta
event may not help you with Hebrew.
> MIDI is not intended at
> defining concepts such as "intro" and "bridge" and the "feel" of every
> part of the song.

Right.
However, once you have something in cubase, you can export it to MIDI
and use perl to export it to XML.

>> If you're specifically looking for perl solutions there are quite a few
>> modules that convert between MIDI and text, and between MIDI and XML
>> representations:
>>

> It doesn't have to be Perl. I just thought of Perl, because the tool
> i'm looking for is much more about text than it is about music, and
> Perl is good with text processing.
>
> I guess that what i'm looking for is much more in the area of DocBook
> or LaTeX than it is in the area of MIDI. The problem is that i don't
> know any of them well enough.

Maybe a karaoke program. They're supposed to synch text and music.

Thanks,
Uri
http://translation.israel.net