[Israel.pm] music

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:26:32 PDT 2007

> > I'm playing in a band and we are trying to write down our songs in a
> > simple way which the whole band would understand. I'm not talking
> > necessarily about musical notation, but more about a simple tab-like
> > representation of parts which every instrument plays.
> Any sequencing program with a piano-roll view, which is almost any
> sequencing programs.

Thanks.

We use Cubase for recording, which is a kind of a piano-roll program.
However, it's way too complicated to write simple verbal comments
there, which for me would me much more important than musical
notation. And it doesn't work well with Hebrew.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i understand MIDI is
good mostly for describing notes and instruments for the computer,
while i'm talking about something that explains synchronization of
music and lyrics for people in human language. MIDI is not intended at
defining concepts such as "intro" and "bridge" and the "feel" of every
part of the song.

> If you're specifically looking for perl solutions there are quite a few
> modules that convert between MIDI and text, and between MIDI and XML
> representations:

It doesn't have to be Perl. I just thought of Perl, because the tool
i'm looking for is much more about text than it is about music, and
Perl is good with text processing.

I guess that what i'm looking for is much more in the area of DocBook
or LaTeX than it is in the area of MIDI. The problem is that i don't
know any of them well enough.